Tuesday, January 15, 2013

This Is What Moral Depravity Looks Like

SEE HERE It's been all downhill since I was a kid.  Things were pretty straightlaced when I was a paperboy in Cleveland Heights Ohio back in the early 1950s.  I had 44 people on my paper route, each a family.  Of those 44 households only one was maintained by a divorced woman.  I knew that because her presence in the neighborhood was the talk of the three street area I served.  She was a nice lady and a good tipper.  The paper cost seven cents a copy.  It was the Cleveland Press, defunct now but popular then.  It was an evening paper delivered six days a week with no Sunday edition.  So I got pretty used to saying "forty-two cents for the Press" as I did my weekly collection on Saturdays.

I was still a little young to be interested in girls but I was getting there.  By the time I was in high school kissing girls was a cool idea.  It wasn't until the mid-sixties that sexual "liberation" got underway.  It's funny to call something "liberation" that was really turning sexual relations into a past time while avoiding any responsibility.  I'm not sure who was liberated.  It certainly wasn't the girls.

Things have gone down hill from there.  Judging from this piece the women are the ones most insured at least in any immediate sense, although the men are insured too because they never learn to be men, instead they are just locked into a animal like desire for gratification.  Perhaps most hurt of all is the society populated by this predator prey scenario.  After a while it stops being a culture or a civilization and starts instead to be a rapacious jungle filled with barbarians and savages.  If we're not entirely there yet, just give it a few more years.

How do we get out of this mess?  I'm not sure you can.  When you're on a slide into a garbage dump you are going to get slimed and it may be pretty difficult to climb out.  But one thought worth thinking is that "the longest journey starts with but a single step" and Marva Collin's question to the children: "How do you eat an elephant?" and the answer: "One bite at a time Mz. Collins."

No comments:

Post a Comment