Monday, May 11, 2015

Free Speech Doesn't Mean Suppressed Speech

What part of "freedom" don't you understand?  Freedom of speech is about being free to say unpopular, rude, crude, and otherwise offensive things.  Everything is offensive to someone and if you're a savage offensive might be being told that you're a savage because your prophet was a savage and savagery is something you come by naturally for the past almost one and a half millennia.   If you want to remain free you have to defend freedom, especially against those who use disproportional force against ideas they don't like and the expression of those ideas.  When I was a kid my mom taught me that "Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me."  Cartoons won't hurt me either.  You need to learn to assess the truth of what is being said and act accordingly.  Truth is what counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment