Friday, September 7, 2012

Free? Free To Be Slaves

SEE HERE I once lived in a nation where freedom meant something.  I once lived in a nation where the government didn't try to mandate every part of our lives and tell us to buckle up or wear a helmet or don't drink sodas larger than 16 ounces or that it didn't matter what our religious beliefs were we had to do what the government wanted or else.  I once lived in a nation that honored God and virtue and where men and women were independent and helped one another and didn't have their hands out and didn't think that because someone was doing a bit better than they that they were being cheated.

That time seems to have passed.  Now I meet each day expecting to encounter new limits, new demands, less freedom, less quality, more intolerance, less virtue, more incivility, and all the time I'm being told that things are getting better.  Perhaps the measuring stick has changed.  They've swapped the good end for the bad end and every time someone says things are getting better what they mean is more freedom has been lost and government is telling someone else that they must obey some new regulation or rule.

Worst of all, everyone seems to have blinders on.  People whom I thought were good people tell me it will be all for the best.  The faceless minions line up and I'm reminded of "Big Brother" and that Apple Macintosh commercial of so long ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment