Thursday, December 24, 2009

Tigers Changing Stripes: Still Tigers

SEE HERE When are we going to hold our politicians' feet to a fire made up of principles and not let them willie-nillie change party affiliations as if the party label has no particular foundation in principles and policies? At least Arlen Spector was returning to his real affiliation. This guy is more questionable. The party label doesn't mean much if you can just rebrand yourself in an instant. I guess that means the party label doesn't mean much.

I've been watching these antics for many years. I'm about as cynical as they come when it comes to politics. I got involved and politically active in Minnesota with the Jack Kemp and Ronald Reagan campaigns. I'm what the power and control freaks would call a doctrinaire conservative. But of course what that means is that I care about principle more than power. It means I have some integrity and don't sell-out my friends for a campaign donation or a promise of dollars spent in my district. Of course I've never been elected to anything so I don't have to deal with any of these issues. The ground may look different from the other side. But isn't that part of the problem. There is something toxic about going to Washington. We send bright shiny new legislators to Washington full of ideals and principles and things to do and they rather quickly learn to "play the game" and then they look like all the rest of the duplicitous, I'm for sale, political hacks. Don't know the solution! It sure looks like principled people are few and far between.

No comments:

Post a Comment