Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Something to be Thankful For ...

SEE HERE I have a few shticks that I use when I'm joking around. One of them is the "Sixth proof for the Existence of God." Now frankly I don't think we need six proofs except for the fact that we have so many idiots in the world. The necessary existence of a necessary being that satisfactorily explains the existence of everything else seems pretty self-evident to me. But I digress ... The reason there is a sixth proof is that Thomas Aquinas listed five proofs in his Summa. He simply decided five was enough and didn't include the sixth proof which is variously: strawberries, chocolate, and ice cream depending on how I'm feeling. The point is that what's the probability that a random world created by meaningless chance would turn out to have so many delightful things in it? We should be thankful that God didn't just give us gruel. It would have been the efficient thing to do, a perfectly balanced gruel but it just wouldn't come up to chocolate covered strawberries with ice cream. See, I'm salivating already. G.K. Chesterton points out the importance of gratitude when he says: "I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought, and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder." Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment