Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Diversity is a code word for prejudice

Walter Williams, one of my favorite columnists generally dishes it out straight from the shoulder. That is one of the reasons I like him so much and his colleague (both economists) Thomas Sowell. Both seek the truth of the matter and then spell it out in no uncertain terms. Today's Williams' column titled: The Viciousness Of Academic Liberals nailed it once again.
When college administrators talk about diversity it is important to understand the code. The code is that some other criteria besides academic excellence is going to be used to grant admissions to people who wouldn't make the cut otherwise. Where I come from that's called prejudice and discrimination. They call it diversity.
Williams quotes an article by a former University of California regent named Ward Connerly which explains how Asian students are discriminated against because as one college administrator described them: Asians are "too dull — they study, study, study."
I suppose that's due to good parenting. My parents brought me up to "study, study, study" and they told me that if I excelled I'd be rewarded. What our betters the Academic Liberals do is turn that on it's head. Obviously we have to discriminate against those that are deserving to reward the undeserving. So the next time you hear about diversity understand the code. It means punishing excellence, and rewarding ignorance and indolence. Aren't we just so enlightened.

No comments:

Post a Comment