Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Phoney Baloney: Cooking the Data for Global Warming

In case you wondered why it was getting colder instead of warmer as the global warming nutniks think is should be you might want to CHECK THIS OUT. I always feel bad about this kind of thing. I'm a scientist and if there is one thing a scientist is not supposed to do it is fudge the data. My wife got me a tee shirt one time that had "When in doubt fudge the data." It was humorous I suppose, but I told her I'd never wear a tee shirt with something like that on it. Scientists stop being scientists and become advocates when they "cherry pick" their data to get the result they want or that someone else wants. That's also why I don't take too seriously the charges that "Such and such is no good because it was funded by the ..... fill in the blank ... (tobacco companies, oil companies, favorite group to beat with a wet noodle). The reason is that all good scientists believe that data is king.

Well maybe not quite ALL. Increasingly we see problems with fudged data, cooked data, whatever you want to call it. I tend to just call it "agenda driven science." Well now we know that the tree ring data on which the "hockey stick effect" was predicated was cherry picked. Shame on them. This rather cuts out the legs from one of the main arguments that has been advanced in favor of AGW. We'll see I suppose if anyone bothers to care. I'm afraid that science has become so politicized that no-one can be completely trusted. "Follow the money" has become the mantra of our time. Everyone is for sale. Integrity seems to be a word with a forgotten construction. Global warming continues to look to me like a sham and a fraud.

No comments:

Post a Comment