Saturday, December 31, 2011

Cuccinelli On the Primary Stupidity

SEE HERE Well I'm glad someone has the guts to step up to the plate and point out that the system is broken.  When only two candidates can get on the ballot you can stand around posturing and blame it on their organizations or you can start looking at the process which is obviously broken if it doesn't give the electorate the right to vote for who they want.  I for one would like to see us become a caucus state.  I've lived in Pennsylvania (non-caucus and pretty closed as far as I could tell), Minnesota (a caucus state), and Virginia (a non-caucus state) and frankly the politics as more open and more fun in Minnesota than in either Pennsylvania or Virginia.  CUCCINELLI CHANGES HIS MIND  this is a Facebook link and I don't know if it will resolve if you are not on Facebook.  Apparently the question was whether changing the rules in midstream would be fair to those that had observed the rules.  The question I have is whether those who observed the rules but came in with 15,000 signatures actually did succeed in getting the necessary 10,000 valid signatures?  Don't know because they got a pass.

2 comments:

  1. Excuse me, but the primary requirement in VA has been in place for years. What does it say about national candidates that they can't get organized enough to meet the 10,000 signature qualification? I disagree that VA is an embarrassment. If two candidates could meet the requirement, why couldn't the others? What it shows is that most candidates can't be bothered to work to get grass roots supporters in place to meet the state requirment. I have little sympathy for those who didn't get their ducks lined up and now want to whine about mean ole VA keeping them off the ballot. If the legislature wants to change the system, fine, but they should wait until the next cycle. As for the courts getting into it, they should just butt out. It's a legislative matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The process has become quite contrived. If I understand it correctly (which is doubtful) the candidates must use Virginians to collect the signatures. It strikes me that that alone is a requirement which lets local and state party officials exert undue influence on the process. I think you should be able to vote for the candidate of your choice, not some watered done list that has been artificially "vetted" by party imposed and relatively extreme rules. I really don't care how long they have been in place. Dumb is dumber when it's been around a long time.

    ReplyDelete