Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Books, books ... books!

I read a lot of books and since I'll be moving soon I'm moving a lot of books too.  We've been boxing books into those Banker-Boxes which you can get at Staples or Walmart for something like $13 for ten or thereabouts.  So far we've packed something like 190 boxes and we still have about another 190 to go.  But I really want to talk about what I'm reading, not what I'm packing.  I view books as the memory of things you've forgotten that you know.  A good library has a wealth of things that you'd like to remember when you get the time.

I'm a political animal too.  I think Aristotle says that of all of us.  If you live in a polis, the state, then you have to be political or you're not a responsible citizen.  Being involved is one of the responsibilities of a citizen.  That responsibility includes the leadership and the economics and all the other dimensions of citizenship.

I just finished reading "The Amateur" by Edward Klein.  Klein's clearly a liberal which makes his book all that more of an indictment of the incompetence of the Obama administration.

Another book I'm reading is "The Obama Error" by Stephen Pidgeon which is a much more problematically book by a much more controversial author.  CHECK THIS OUT for the flavor.

My philosophy is to sample the spectrum since everyone has an agenda.  You can only form good opinions by sampling the spectrum and seeing how well things hold up.

Somewhere around the house I have Jerome Corsi's book "Where's the Birth Certificate"

I'm also reading Jonah Goldberg's book "The Tyranny of Cliches" which is subtitled "How Liberals Cheat in the War of Ideas."  I have no doubt that liberals cheat, but I'm less convinced that they really have ideas.  They tend to operate by labeling and ridicule.   I suppose though that that's what Goldberg's book really comes down to: a sort of catalog of liberal labeling.

Last but not least is a book on the coming financial disaster by Peter D. Schiff called "The Real Crash" which is a sobering warning that if we don't change our ways and soon we're in for the mother of all financial crashes.

If that isn't enough books I'm also reading "Starship Troopers" by Robert Heinlein for a Science Fiction book club, "The Abolition of Man" by C.S. Lewis for the C.S. Lewis Society that I moderate, and a book by St. Catherine of Siena for the Spiritual Book Club I'm in.  All that reading keeps one busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment