Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Seeking Immortality — Scanning Our Memories

SEE HERE I know this feeling very well. I was my mother's executor and it was a heartrending experience going through the house and trying to decide what to toss and what to keep. There were wonderful photo-albums of people I had never seen before and didn't recognize. There were all the knick-knacks of a long life. Mom had owl figurines everywhere and there were all sorts of memorabilia. I'm the oldest of ten so it was really difficult trying to figure out how to give everyone fair access to all the "treasures." I tried to run an auction so that my brothers and sisters could bid against each other to value the items and that worked well enough, but some just seemed to think they should be able to go through the house and grab what they wanted. You can't please everyone and sometimes it feels like you can't please anyone. I'm glad it's done but I still have boxes of stuff that I can't quite bear to throw away and I ought to just scan and give copies of the scans to all my brothers and sisters. But that's not easy either. It's tough being an immortal in a mortal body. Hopefully the next model will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment