Monday, July 16, 2012

Have I Mentioned That Government Funded Science Is Highly Politicized?

SEE HERE It isn't just global warming that gets politicized, it's everything.  The government doesn't fund science out of the goodness of its heart.  It funds science to get defined results often as not.  So the science is subordinated to the agenda.  It's pathetic sometimes.  I remember years ago when I worked for the U.S. Navy as a scientist when a couple of the Washington bureaucrats that worked for the Office of Naval Research bragged to me that nothing they had ever funded had done the Navy any good.  At the time I was deeply offended and that feeling still nags at me that people taking their daily bread from the Navy were proud that the science that they managed had never been helpful to the Navy.  That kind of thinking permeates the whole government bureaucracy in some places stronger than others, but the idea that they are the wise managers of the direction of science is part of their conceit.

No comments:

Post a Comment