Sunday, January 10, 2010

AbuseGate? The Things You Find ...

SEE HERE I'll be the first to admit that I don't know anything about this. I was startled to find an article which has the term ClimateGate in it, which I've been tracking, but then the article is actually about feminism and spousal abuse and it seems to suggest that the vast majority of the literature on spousal abuse is just, well made up out of thin air. They call it AbuseGate. Is it true? I don't know. It is certainly provocative. Having lived through the feminist revolution or whatever it was and still is and the distortion of language and the presumption that all men are some kind of monsters, I'm a bit wary. Of course the reality of spousal abuse cannot be denied. It is interesting however, that the social movement advanced without the benefit of actual studies to characterize and study the problem. It does remind me of the quote that 90% of all statistics are made up at the moment that they are used.
So that got me curious and I googled on Abusegate ... HERE-1 HERE-2 and HERE-3

Apparently it is getting fashionable to add -gate after a prefix and start spinning stories. Watergate started it all and since then we've had a lot of gates. Every kind of coverup gets to be a -gate of some type.

No comments:

Post a Comment