Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Benjamin Wiker: 10 Books that Screwed Up the World!

I'm enjoying Wiker's book about the ten conservative books, see a couple of posts back, that I ordered his book on the ten books that screwed up the world. In the course of looking for more information about him I stumbled upon this short video which is about the book to some extent.
I was fascinated by the comments that accompanied the video because they were virtually all 'ad hominem's without any real sense of what he had been saying. I've been in a dialogue in another forum about the fact that most people these days don't recognize an argument when they hear it and often advance assertions as if they were arguments. I'm sorry folks, but an assertion is not an argument. Generally it is a statement of something you believe or want others to believe which is to be demonstrated to be valid or invalid. It is the beginning of an argument. Today you'll likely be accused of impoliteness merely for disagreeing. The person advancing the assertion thinks they have finished when they have said what they believe. Often they imagine that truth is a vote about how many people believe as they do and that isn't an argument either.
One of the things I like about Wiker's books insofar as I've read them so far is that he says why he believes. He provides actual arguments and not mere assertions. It doesn't hurt of course that generally I've found myself in agreement. I'll probably come back to this topic when I've finished reading his two books that I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment