Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Truth Trumps Drivel

SEE HERE I was wandering around Books a Million yesterday actually just waiting for my wife and her mother to finish a little shopping. They leave me in a bookstore, sort of to warehouse me for the interim since I rarely bite people or get into too much trouble if I'm wandering around among book, a forest of knowledge and wannabe knowledge, a feast from truth to drivel with hardly an empty spot in the continuity.
As often happens to me I would pick up various books and quickly peruse them to see where they lay on the spectrum. The vast majority of the sort of trendy drivel kind, written often quickly to make a buck before the fashion that inspired them changes.
Today though I was fortunate (or unfortunate since my wife insists there are too many books in the house), and I stumbled across two treasures worth actually coughing up the money to take them with me.
The first was this one "10 Books Every Conservative MUST READ" — the title got me to pick it up. Focusing in on the authors listed on the cover got me to open the book and then buy it. I wandered over to the coffee section, got a mug of brew, black, and read the first chapter on Aristotle and learned a little from his "Politics." I was struck by the fact that Wiker who now writes full time for the Discovery Institute was such a clear and incisive writer, and also had authored a previous book "10 Books That Screwed Up the World." When I got home I ordered that one from Amazon. I figured between these two books we should be able to populate the spectrum from truth to drivel rather well. I'll leave the second book to another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment