Monday, January 17, 2011

This About Sums It Up

Today's Patriot Post and Patriot Quotes were both on target. Here's the quote:
"It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions." --Thomas Jefferson
Now that's a lesson for us all. Disagreement doesn't have to be disagreeable. I am really disappointed in the low neuron count of so much of the discourse that goes on on the web. Just read the comments following any controversial story and you'll get what I mean I hope. My mom taught me when I was very small that "Sticks and stone may break my bones but words will never hurt me." In the longer view I'm not entirely sure that is true. Words won't hurt me, but the result of mindless reactions to words might. What is rather despicable is that the worst hate mongers in the society are the left wing nutniks screaming about the right wing talk radio folks. I've never actually heard the right wing folks advocate violence but I hear the left wing ones do it all the time and make charges that the right wing folks do. So it's a bit strange. (isolated exceptions are likely the case since I'm sure there are some ... but as a rule the folks charging violence are on the left and all the violence I'm aware of is either left-wing or jihadist.) Maybe we should make a victim count to make the point, I don't know. But what should certainly happen is that people should talk more sense to each other and not just issue mindless slogans and demonization.

No comments:

Post a Comment