Thursday, March 31, 2011

Bias In the News? Nah ... Really!!

SEE HERE I've reached the point of simply ignoring the news media for the most part. They are so biased and transparent as to be essentially useless. When I was in high school I wanted to be a journalist. I was the front page editor on my high school newspaper. We were taught that the news pages should be objective and about truth and that opinion and analysis was for the editorial pages. We didn't realize then that just deciding what story runs and the hype in the story was already a lack of objectivity. The media is agenda driven. And since I was trained as a scientist before big political science started to rule the day like it did in the Soviet Union and now seems increasingly to be doing on such political hot-button manipulative issues as global alarmism, I am outraged by agenda driven procedures except when you're engineering. If you're seeking truth then the only agenda is what is true and perhaps why it is significant. When instead you pick your truth ahead of time it's just an arbitrary preference and not truth at all. Why are unions supposed to be good for example? Do they actually live up to their advertising? Why is abortion bad? You won't be able to answer those questions is you already have the answers pencilled in on your agenda. Let me give you a couple of clues. Abortion kills people. Unions increasingly simply use force to get preferences that are unwarranted by the market so that they end up like parasites, killing their hosts. It seems odd that the liberals simply automatically salute unions and abhor pro life people. I guess the lesson to go away with is that they don't care about the truth or in that now famous line "Truth, you can't handle the truth."

No comments:

Post a Comment