Friday, April 11, 2014

Thomas Sowell Remembers Chuck Stone

SEE HERE  I don't know anything about Chuck Stone.  I know a lot about Thomas Sowell and I'm always interested in the people that Thomas Sowell admired.  It's actually a method of seeking heroes in your own life.  When you have a hero it's always mind expanding to see who your hero's heroes were.  We are formed by the principles, values, and people we admire and seek to emulate.  One of the greatest pieces of advice I can give young people is to pick their heroes consciously and well.  Your heroes don't have to be perfect and omni-heroic.  Maybe they had flaws, don't we all.  But there are things you admire them for.  I admire Richard Feynman, for example, not because I agree with him on everything, but because I deeply agree with his philosophy as a scientist.  I admire Robert Heinlein, for example, not because I agree with him on the way to live your personal life, but because I admire his message of self-reliance and independence as well as his writing.  I could go on like this for person after person that I admire: C.S. Lewis, G.K. Chesterton, Frank Sheed, John Henry Newman, Aristotle, ... are just a few more.  Pick your heroes and seek to be like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment