Monday, August 30, 2010

How Many Were At the Beck Rally?

SEE HERE There is no official number. The unofficial numbers range from 87,000 to a million or so. This piece points out the difficulty of even getting to the rally. I intentionally avoided it although I was in DC that day and attended the Americans For Prosperity event and the Virginia breakfast on the day of the march. Something like eight huge tour buses were staged to take the folks from the Marriott out on Connecticut Ave. to the rally, presumably they were going to ping pong back and forth because there were too many people for that few buses.

I left and drove down Connecticut to 'M' street and out 'M' to Georgetown and the Key Bridge. My feet are none too good and I didn't think I could handle the walking and standing. As I drove out Route 66 towards Front Royal I noticed that cars were backed up for literally miles trying to get into DC. Now I don't know if that was people trying to get to the rally, or people who were delayed by the logistics of the rally or what. But on a Saturday morning it is pretty unusual to see traffic backed up like that to get into DC. So I think it was caused by the rally. The event was big. Just judging from the pictures I've seen and my own experience of Right To Life Marches which often varied from 200,000 to 400,000 people I'd say that there were more than 400,000 and likely less than a million. But it was one very big crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment