Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Let's Do the Full Analysis

SEE HERE It isn't often that I disagree with Walter Williams, but I think he's failed here to give the full case. Seniors had money taken from their paychecks to pay for social security and an equal amount was extracted from their employers which otherwise could have gone to them in salaries. Moreover the money that was extracted and merely went into the general fund (or the "trust fund" of IOUs the government issued) could have been invested in real assets and real securities and earned income. So William's analysis seems at best limited and incomplete for both the male and female recipients of Social Security. I've more than once run the numbers for my own case and concluded that had my employer and my investments in Social Security been invested in a broad index fund that I'd be able to take out something like four times what Social Security is paying me. So in may case at least, I'd say I've already been cheated. Will I get more than I put in? Of course, because they don't count what my employer put in. That's just dishonest. Yes it's a Ponzi scheme, but that's not my fault. It could have and should have been an investment scheme. Even as a Ponzi scheme it would likely have been more solvent if the government had not been complicit in the murder of over fifty million babies who could have grown up to be productive members of society.

No comments:

Post a Comment