Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Zen of Cookies: A Beginning ...

Well it's true. I've cooked seven different kinds of cookies in the past few days ever since I got "400 Sensational Cookies" for myself. There is no particular reason for this except that I'm in denial that I have to prepare for my Spring classes and making cookies seems like a welcome substitute. I've also picked up other books for making cookies: 1) Taste of Home Cookies is the second book, and 2) The Great Christmas Cookie Swap Cookbook with 60 large batch recipes.

The Christmas season seems like a nice time to get into cooking cookies. One thing I've noticed is that most of the cookies I've undertaken so far seem to operate to a pattern. I think when push comes to shove there are likely only a few ways to put together a good cookie and you can sort of reverse engineer the cookies by looking at the recipes. That makes it possible to create new cookies that are just minor variations on a theme.

I've started building a spreadsheet of the cookies I've cooked so far and the common elements will end up sorting the cookies into varieties because of the recipe similarities. Seems like fun, especially for a real cookie monster.

No comments:

Post a Comment